Birth Records Online - The Free Birth Records Directory


Alaska Birth Certificate


How to Order Birth Records in Alaska


Birth certificates for the state of Alaska are handled by the Bureau of Vital Statistics.  Their records begin in January 1913. 

Alaska Birth Certificate & Records Search Tool 

Please note that you are only able to order birth certificates for yourself or a child for whom you are the parent, guardian or legal representative.  You must be at least 18 yeas of age and provide proof of your identity in the form of a copy of a valid government-issued photo ID, such as your driver’s license, state-issued identification card, government issued employment identification, or passport.  Enlarge the copy of your ID and lighten it if needed to ensure it is clear and readable.  Sign underneath it to verify that you are the requestor.  If you are not ordering your own birth certificate, please make a notation on the copy of your ID of y our relationship to the person whose birth certificate you are requesting.  Enclose a copy of any legal or supporting documentation such as guardianship papers or marriage license or certificate.


Please download the Alaska Birth certificate application and fill it out and mail with payment and a copy of your photo identification to:Alaska Birth Records


Department of Health and Social Services

Bureau of Vital Statistics

5441 Commercial Boulevard

Juneau, AK 99801


Each certified copy of a certificate is $20.00. This fee is nonrefundable.  If the requested record cannot be found, the $20.00 will be used for a 3-year search and a statement of search will be issued. Enclose an additional $1.00 per year for an extended search.


Birth Certificates requiring authentication for a foreign country have additional fees.  The additional charge is $12.00 for the first record, with $2.00 added for each additional copy of the same record.  This includes the $2.00 fee for the Lt. Governor's office.  The country that the record is being sent to must be noted on your request.


Please do not send cash.  Personal check or certified funds only.


Please call (907) 465-3391 prior to mailing to ensure that the fees have not changed since the publication of this document.




If you have any questions, please call (907) 465-3391.