Birth Records Online - The Free Birth Records Directory

Maine Birth Certificates

How to Order Birth Records in the State of Maine

Birth certificates for the state of Maine are handled by the Office of Vital Records.  Their records begin in the year 1923.  Maine birth record search

Please note that you are only able to order birth certificates for yourself, your spouse, or a child for whom you are the parent, guardian or legal representative.  You must be at least 18 yeas of age and provide proof of your identity in the form of a copy of a valid government-issued photo ID, such as your driver’s license, state-issued identification card, government issued employment identification, or passport. 

Enlarge the copy of your ID and lighten it if needed to ensure it is clear and readable.  Sign underneath it to verify that you are the requestor.  If you are not ordering your own birth certificate, please make a notation on the copy of your ID of y our relationship to the person whose birth certificate you are requesting.  Enclose a copy of any legal or supporting documentation such as guardianship papers or marriage license or certificate.

Please send a letter with the following information, payment, and a copy of your photo identification to:

Vital Records
11 State House Station
244 Water Street
Augusta, ME 04333-0011

   1. Name on the birth record.
   2. Date of birth.
   3. Name of city/town the birth occurred in.
   4. The names of the parents - please use the mother's maiden name.
   5. State your relationship to the name on the birth record being requested.
   6. Please include a daytime telephone number.
   7. Please make the check payable to: "Treasurer - State of Maine".

The fee for one certified copy is $15.00. The fee for additional certified copies of the same record is $6.00 each. Send self-addressed stamped envelope with your payment.

Please do not send cash.  Personal check or certified funds only.

Please call (207) 287-3181 prior to mailing to ensure that the fees have not changed since the publication of this document.

If you have any questions, please call (207) 287-3181.